Friday, August 12, 2011

The Ride, Day Four

Today's map


Thursday was another beautiful day to ride. Left Paw Paw, WV, and headed on down the trail. First site was the Paw Paw Tunnel. Over 3000 ft long, and no lighting. Fortunately, I was forewarned by one of the folks I've met on the trail and stopped in the local Family Dollar to buy a flashlight. I'm told that some folks have ridden thru the tunnel, but I chose to walk. I'm crazy, not stupid!


Stopped to inspect one of the aqueducts this morning. I've passed over three so far, but this had the best view.


As I approached Hancock, MD, I looked up to my left and noticed another trail, the Western Maryland Rail Trail. At the time, I'd considered writing about the sissies who needed the paved pathway, but admit that from Hancock for about ten miles, I enjoyed a ride without jarring my arms, feet and other portions of my body (there's only three parts of the body in contact with the bike; you figure it out.)

While in Hancock, I stopped at the C&O Bike Shop. After three days of 60+ miles, portions of my anatomy were letting me know they weren't happy. So along with a two day supply of Clif Bars and Gator Ade, I bought some single dose Chamois Butt'r to soothe those burning regions. Then it was back on the trail.

As I said before, I used the paved Western Maryland trail out of Hancock for ten miles. While on that silky smooth path, a young woman came pedaling up from behind and struck up a conversation. On learning that I was headed to DC, she related that she and her two daughters had done the same trip together last year. After telling me where I needed to drop of the WM trail, she resumed her somewhat faster pace, leaving me again to my own musings.

These are the remnants of the Roundtop Cement Mill. It burned to the ground three different times, the last in 1906 never to be rebuilt.


This lock was the most complete I've encountered so far.


And as I rolled into Williamsport, I passed this little milemarker telling me I've only got 100 miles left.


Next stop: Harpers Ferry WV


No comments:

Post a Comment