Monday, August 15, 2011

The Ride, Epilogue


I’d been planning this ride since 2009, when I saw the trail while in Hancock MD. I did a fair amount of research on it and had originally planned for it to be a five day ride. After consideration, I changed it to six days so that I’d have time to enjoy the sights, sounds, and the freedom of the trails.

Over the two years, a number of folks expressed their desire to accompany me, but for one reason or another it ended up being a solo ride. Since most of my outdoor exploits are solo, I didn’t think it any big deal, but have to admit that talking to myself got boring after a while: I always knew what I was going to say.

Things I learned:
1.       If it can be broken, Amtrak will find a way
2.       Talcum powder works great as long as it’s dry. Wet, it just becomes an abrasive.
3.       Chamois Butt’r works!
4.       Don’t forget your rain jacket, because it WILL rain at some point in the trip
5.       Check batteries before you need them
6.       Leave the laptop at home. Write it down in a notepad for transcription later. It’s a heck of a lot lighter!
7.       When you’re cycling, it’s ALWAYS a headwind
8.       Uphills and downhills aren’t always equal
9.       Relax and be a kid again!

So would I do it again? In a second! But it’d sure be more fun to have other folks along.

No comments:

Post a Comment