Friday, August 12, 2011

The Ride, Day Two


Tuesday dawned with rain falling. I was ready to go, but hesitated to depart in the rain. I waited until 7:00 and  the rain stopped. Accuweather said I had 30 minutes before the next band hit, so I took off. It only rained about thirty minutes, but made the gravel dust on the trail stick to everything it touched.

There was more wildlife on the trail today. Found a herd of deer about an hour into the day. There was another, very unafraid, let me get within 30 ft. However, when I tore open the velcro to get my camera out, it took off. A lot of birds, and a black snake that was too quick for me to get the camera.

Some nice river crossings, particularly the Casselman. Crossed this waterway two or three times during the day.

Some interesting rock formations. It may have been because I was hungry, but this one reminded me of a stack of pancakes.


The high point of the day (literally) was crossing the Eastern Continental Divide. From there, I went through a couple of tunnels (here's a pic of the Big Savage tunnel). The first was lighted. The second wasn't; this was where I found out my headlight batteries were dead (need to find some tomorrow. )


From the Divide, it was all downhill. Two days of pedaling uphill gave me 11 miles of 20mph downhill running. It was a welcome relief! Made it to Frostburg about 4:30, and checked into the Trail Inn. This is a great place, in a great location. Easy access from the trail, bike wash area, and a cafe with great food. I highly recommend it. If they had internet access, it'd be just about perfect!

Lessons learned: rain jackets and pannier covers: good. Fenders would be nice! Downhill is my friend. Uphill, not so much!

Tomorrow, it's a 49.5 mile ride to Paw Paw WV. All downhill!!




No comments:

Post a Comment