Thursday, August 11, 2011

The Ride, Day One

The map.

After talking with some folks on the train Saturday, I changed my starting point from McKeesport to Boston PA. While it should have shortened the ride, MyTracks has it at 62.56 miles where I expected less than 58. Wonder what other “adjustments” will be made along the way. My moving average speed was 9.95 mph.

It was a beautiful ride, though. Much of the scenery looked the same all the way. I had some company with the dragonflies jitterbugging in front of my wheel, the butterflies doing their ballet in front of my face, and the rabbits running alongside for a quick sprint. Even had some deer come out and watch.


Lessons learned: websites are not ALWAYS right. Two water bottles is not enough. I can go over 60 miles in 8.5 hours (6:15 moving, the balance resting or taking a picture or two along the way).

While on the trail, I met a couple of other through riders, Mark (?) and Lou. Mark was a writer for Rails to Trails magazine. He took my picture earlier when I'd passed them taking a break (my NC jersey had caught his eye) and wanted to ask me some questions about my ride and motivation. I gave him my phone number and invited him to call me after Monday when I'd be able to answer any question he might have.

That night at dinner, I met two brothers who'd come to Ohiopyle on vacation. They'd left their bikes at home thinking there wouldn't be time to ride. As we talked, we discovered we had all grown up in the NoVA area in fairly close proximity. After learning where I'd started from and where I was riding to, they started talking like they'd like to give the ride a shot themselves next year. Go for it, guys! It's worth it!
Tomorrow's another climbing day, then it's all downhill from there!


1 comment: